If you have had your iPhone for more than a year (particularly the iPhone 4), then you have probably experienced this issue – you click on the home button, trying to exit the current application, and nothing happens. You double-click the home button trying to access your multi-task tray…and nothing happens. Frustrating!
If you are one of the lucky ones whose iPhone is still under warranty, you have the option of taking it in and getting a replacement. For those of us who are out of warranty, though the situation seems bleak, there is hope! Below are five possible fixes for your iPhone home button blues (and remember – attempt these at your own risk):
1. Reboot your iPhone – This is really the first fix for any problem you may experience with your iPhone. Hold down the home and standby buttons together until it powers down, then back up again (when you see the Apple logo appear, you’ve successfully rebooted).
2. Reset the home button sensitivity – Open any app (some people say the ‘Stocks’ app is best), then press the standby button until the ‘slide to power off’ screen appears. Release the standby button, then press and hold the home button. After several seconds, the app will suddenly exit and return you to the home screen. Your home button sensitivity has been reset!
3. Restore your iPhone via iTunes – This one takes a while. Plug your iPhone into your computer, and backup your phone first. Next, choose to restore your phone. Basically you will be wiping your phone clean, then restoring your data from the backup.
4. Use the virtual home button – This is more of a workaround than a fix. Choose the settings app, then choose ‘General’, then ‘Accessibility’. Scroll down to ‘AssisstiveTouch’ and turn it on. A white button will appear on your screen – this is your new home button.
5. Clean the home button with rubbing alcohol – I know this one sounds crazy, but for me, it has actually worked the best. This video does a good job of explaining this process. Essentially you dip your finger in 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, run your finger around the home button 10 times (you can follow it with 10 more in the opposite direction), then click on 4 different points of the home button rapidly 20 times each. Flip your iPhone over, face down, and tap the bottom and let it dry. Flip it face up again, and clean the gunk that shows up around the home button. Voila! You may need to do this a few times, but it has given me the best results thus far.
Home button causing you problems? Do you have a solution that works that isn’t listed above? Leave a comment.